Business process modeling is part of a larger methodology called business process management. BPM is a method used to organize and optimize the processes of the company, thus improving the business itself.
A business process modeling definition is that is a step of BPM. It is the logical representation of the business process and comes after the process mapping – which is to understand all the process and how it works. It is a crucial step to the success of the company.
See business process modeling benefits.
Business process modeling definitions
For you to better understand the concept, we will approach some different business process modeling definitions and explanations.
- Process modeling is the graphic visualization of the process, its steps, the information shared, the people involved and the purpose of it. Check out this free software for process modeling.
- It is the analysis and optimization of business architecture.
- Business process modeling it is used to define the future state of the process, that is to say, how it should and will work to be more efficient.
- Another business process modeling definition is that it is a system that set up simulations of the process to identify possible alterations and improvements.
- Business process modeling is defined by the business process analysts, professionals that study and draw the process, checking for bottlenecks and betterment points.
Also see business process analysts.
Business process modeling benefits
Modeling the processes of your company will bring numerous benefits and advantages to your organization. Following we will approach some of them.
- Cut costs: when we study and model the processes, it is easy to spot the bottlenecks, and then to get rid of them. You can stop duplicated tasks and save a lot of money by cutting wastage.
- Align the operations with business strategy: all companies have a goal, vision, a mission and a strategy. Sometimes the processes are not conducted with all this in mind. Business process modeling aligns them, generating much better results.
- Improves communication: successful companies all have one thing in common, their teams are organized and everybody knows their role. So that employees achieve their best performance, they have to know exactly what is expected of them, what they can and cannot do and their importance for the company. Process modeling defines all this.
- Increases control and consistency: through the understanding of the processes, they always become more optimized and running in the best way possible. By repeating what it works and improving always, the processes develop consistency; the manager can control all the steps and overview everything.
Also, read: how to cut costs with BPM.
Understand the business process modeling definition will help you increase your client’s satisfaction, your processes’ efficiency, your company’s productivity and your services/products’ quality, all that while cutting costs and wastage.
Now that you know what business process modeling is, read about Business Modeling Notation, a method of implementing it through flowcharts and symbols.
See also this tool for process modeling and create your free account: HEFLO BPMN Modeling Tool.